Application & Admissions
We admit students to our PhD program once a year, for the Fall semester. The preferred deadline for applications is December 15. Please note that the University has a March deadline for graduate applications, but most departments set earlier internal deadlines. Students need to apply by the earlier departmental deadline to be considered for admission.
The department gives preference to students based on their background. Student with an M.A. in Spanish or related field have first priority, followed by students with a B.A. in Spanish or related field. The program will also consider students with an M.A. or B.A. in another field, provided that they can demonstrate advanced proficiency in Spanish and that their field of interest is a good match to the program. No students without a solid knowledge of Spanish will be accepted. English proficiency is also required.
To complete the application process you must include the following items:
- Application: Please complete the ApplyTexas online application form (www.applytexas.org).
- Statement of Purpose: The application allows for you to include a statement of purpose. This should not be longer than 2 pages, double spaced, and should focus on your academic experience and interests. We are primarily interested in details about your academic pursuits accomplishments, and any relevant coursework you’ve completed. Please write your statement of purpose in English.
- College Transcripts: You must submit your college transcripts to the university’s Office of Admissions. Please send an unofficial copy to the Department.
- GRE Scores: The GRE exam is optional in our admissions process, but applicants should be aware that several scholarships for incoming students require GRE scores, and students who don’t submit them aren’t eligible for these awards. We only require the general test and we do not have a minimum score. If you decide to take the GRE, have the testing service mail the official scores to the university’s Graduate Admissions office. Please send an unofficial copy to the Department.
- (For international applicants) TOEFL Scores: Unless you have a B.A. or M.A. degree from an English-speaking country, you are required to take the TOEFL examination to provide evidence of English language proficiency. Have the testing service mail the official scores to the university’s Graduate Admissions office. Please send an unofficial copy to the Department.
- Letters of Recommendation: Please send at least three and no more than five letters of recommendation, most of which should be by professors who have taught you in class, preferably Spanish professors. These letters should be sent directly to the Department. Letters of recommendation may be in English or in Spanish, according to the recommender’s preference.
- Writing Sample: 12-15 pages, research based, and representative of your best work. Please send us a clean copy, with no instructor comments or grades. Writing samples should be carefully edited and proofread. This document should be sent to the Department. Please provide a writing sample in Spanish.
- Curriculum Vitae: Your CV should outline your background and accomplishments, including any relevant work experience, awards, scholarships, conference presentations, and publications.
We strongly encourage you to send your application materials to our department via email to our Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Stephen Miller, at email@example.com.
If that is not an option, use the following mailing address:
Dr. Stephen Miller, Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Hispanic Studies
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4238
Please note that the Admissions Office is very busy in January, and may be slow in acknowledging receipt of your documentation. As long as you have submitted your electronic application by the deadline, and all the above documents have been sent to the Department of Hispanic Studies, your application will be considered complete and on time.
To begin an electronic application, please visit the website of the Texas A&M University Office of Admissions.
If you have any questions about our application process, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links to external pages: